- Twenty Sixteen Theme launched;
- Automattic Releases WordPress App For Windows Desktop;
- WordPress Multilingual, finally explained;
- Optimus – WordPress Image Optimizer.
Twenty Sixteen Theme launched
When i first looked at Twenty Sixteen i thought i’m actually looking at the old Twenty Ten, because of how it looks, but Sixteen is bringing some new and interesting features like:
- Optional sidebar
- Multiple menu positions and a social menu
- Overhanging large images
- Post intro and pull quotes
Looking at the number of active installs, more than 200k, the conclusion is that the community reaction to it is good.
Automattic Releases WordPress App For Windows Desktop
The new Windows app uses web technologies combined with native features, such as notifications, offline features and various operating system integrations. One of the most important new features is the editor. Automattic now provides a sleek new design with very few buttons on the screen. It’s more about writing and immersing yourself in your words and less about tweaking the post options. If you need more options, you can still go to the WordPress admin panel on the web. But many occasional bloggers would rather use a clean interface and forget about the options they weren’t using anyway.
WordPress Multilingual, finally explained
I’m sure that many of us had to deal in past with a multi language site issue. There are a lot of plugins doing this but there are just a few doing it right. For everyone interested in this topic, the article from wplang.org is very well written and contains a lot of valuable info. Enjoy!
Optimus – WordPress Image Optimizer
Image optimization is for sure a very hot topic and a persistent issue for a lot of developers who are familiar with scenarios like when clients are uploading huge pictures and than are complaining of the site loading speed. The Optimus plugin is trying to offer a solution for the image optimization problem. It’s main features:
- It can compress both PNG AND JPG formats.
- It compresses WordPress generated thumbnails. This feature sets Optimus aside from desktop optimization tools like Photoshop or JpegMin.
- It can compress heavy images, up to 5mb.
- It can compress unlimited amount of images
- It can optimize A WebP Images. WebP is a more efficient image format developed by Google and OptimusHQ can optimize images in this format.
- Optimization of Images could be over an HTTPS connection and it has a developer API.
- It can optimize both Baseline and Progressive images.